Grandma says the area in crafts and sewing that can be used for home schooling in her Home Education Program. She has lots of helpful hints.
1. Start small by explaining the advantages and disadvantages of doing things on your own.
(Find out their desires in these areas and things the would like to create. Talk about them and work
on them. Remember it takes measurements; quilting is a lot of geometry on graph paper. Counting
and coordination can be involved.)
2. Teach about the machines and tools.
3. There is a lot of guidance books out there-use them- they can be quite helpful; and watch for TV
programs and videos to rent or use at second hand places.
4. Start with simple things or hand sew doll clothes etc.' pot holders, pin cushions, pillow cases and
pillows, or easy curtains. 4-H started with aprons or decorating a room; napkins and place holders
or pads is another. Art pictures is another idea.
5. Later grow into more advanced ideas; remember old clothes can be taken apart for great patterns,
They can be used in quilts, especially old blankets. Just sterilize in the wash with Lysol or vinegar
if necessary Be creative!.
Grandma will add more here later.